Fyre, Septimus Heap, book seven
Katharine Tegen Books, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, 2013
This is the final book in the Septimus Heap series and its main focus is on DeNaturing the Two-faced Ring, the darke implement formerly of Merrin Meredith’s left thumb (which Marcellus so deftly removed in Darke – the thumb and ring). Here, all the roads we have been down previously converge into solving the darke problems that have plagued the Castle for so long. But before all that happens, Marcellus is up to something and Marcia and Beetle are trying desperately to figure it out and solve the mystery of the puddles in the middle of the Big Freeze where everything is frozen and nothing should be melting. Also, the Time is Right for Jenna to become Queen (at only 14!) and she is swept off on a traditional journey by the ghosts of her mother and grandmother. We make another trip to the House of Foryx (where all Times meet) and flye once more on the Dragon Boat.
- Septimus Heap, Senior Extra-Ordinary Apprentice to Marcia Overstand and sometime Alchemie Apprentice to Marcellus Pye
- Jenna Heap, whose Time-Is-Right to become Queen of the Castle
- O. Beetle Beetle, who was picked to be the new Chief Hermetic Scribe of the Manuscriptorium.
- The Forest Heaps, Sam, Edd, Erik and Jo-Jo are back from living wild in the forest
- Wolf-Boy aka 409 aka Marwick, back from being an orphan to being one of identical triplets and is now Keeper
- The Dragon Boat, back from the brink of death after lying in a coma for more than 3 years
- Syrah Syara, back from the Disenchantment Chamber where she has been recovering after living 500 years as a possession of a Syren.
- Alther Mella, back from being Bannished (Septimus rescued him in Darke)
- Jim Knee, a jinee back from hibernation
- Jillie Djinn, back from the dead as a ghost who must spend a year and a day on Marcia’s sofa because that is where she died.
- Shamandrigger Saarn and Dramindonnor Naarn, two Masters of the Darke Arts and Warrior Wizards whose essence resides in the Two-Faced Ring and whose shared goal is to conquer the world and rule it in Darkenesse.
- Edmund and Ernold Heap, long lost brothers of Zelda, uncles to Silas, turn up and in their own incompetent way create havoc in the Castle.
- Dugius Drummin, leader of human-like creatures who live underground and work in the Alchemie Chamber.
- Alice TodHunter Moon, whom we meet at the end of the book in a small paragraph and will learn more about her when the author publishes her first TodHunter book in October, 2014. I can’t wait! I’ll probably have to fight Laura for the review because the protagonist is a girl but since it is a spin-off of Septimus Heap, I should get the privilege. I’m quite sure there will be a battle!
It goes without saying – but I’m going to say it anyway – I loved this book and this series. It had adventure, mystery, humor, sadness, magyk and dragons – not to mention a wonderful orange cat with a black-tipped tail.
Rating: a definite 5 paws for a rollicking good time!
Illustrations by Mark Zug: